Ever since I met Dave five years ago he's always talked about how much he wants to have a family of his own. He's always said that he wants to have a whole bunch of kids and that he feels as if his calling on earth is to raise a good family. I of course believed him but wondered how much of that was just a fantasy and how much he would really be willing to jump into once we actually had a family since in the past I've seen men proclaim their desire for a family and then pass the buck onto their wives once they actually have kids.
Then we had our baby girl and I saw Dave with her. From the very first minute of her life he has been the picture of what a perfect Dad should be.
The nurses at one point said, "Look at you all natural Daddy, I don't think I've ever seen a first time dad be so comfortable with his baby" and it's true. You see the two of them together and know that they were supposed to be Father and Daughter.
I read all about the importance of skin to skin contact early on but I was so exhausted that all I wanted to do was sleep while we were in the hospital. Dave had no problem picking up the slack. He changed EVERY diaper and spent hours with Isabel on his chest.
He even changed her into her very first outfit
But the Daddy Whispering didn't end there. Once we got home he burped her after every feeding and changed her diaper every time. He rocked her to sleep with the Daddy bounce and read in his boy scout version of a Daddy book that swaddling and humming can be comforting to babies. So he's now the master swaddler and it melts my heart when I see him carrying her around humming to her while her head rests easily in the crook of his neck. I absolutely love to see her sleeping on Daddy's chest because she spreads her arms wide out and it looks like she's trying to hug him close and his eyes just twinkle in the joy that his little girl loves him.
Yep he's one proud Daddy and Isabel and I are lucky that we have such an amazing man in our lives that takes such good care of us.





Dave is such a good daddy, and a good man. What a sweet post. :-) You forgot to mention their special bond over "the nub." ;-)
ReplyDelete