Saturday, April 14, 2012

Don't Pray for Patience

Sometimes I find myself praying for virtues that I'd like to posses subsequently thinking that magically I'll posses these things simply because I prayed for them.  Hasn't God said that the things that matter to us matter to him?  A few months back I began to pray for patience.  Simple enough, eh?  I'd like to be able to be less stressed out in my life and so I think patience would be a great thing to have.  I dream of being able to roll with the punches and not let the little things bother me.  Why I thought that I would magically become a patient person is beyond me.

Now I am reminded that Heavenly Father teaches us through experience.  I'm learning that patience doesn't just come to you through inspiration, it's something that you acquire through trying experiences.  This inspiration popped into my head as I was rocking my sweet girl before her nap.  I was thinking to myself, "Wow, my little girl is so sweet right now.  It would be so nice if she were willing to snuggle like this more. She's been such a stinker lately. I wonder what I'm supposed to learn from this."  I don't know if it's teething or a new found drive to be independent but Isabel has been quite a pill lately.  She's started to throw fits and it seems that she just isn't a happy girl.  Don't get me wrong, we still have fun and I wouldn't trade her for the world but the first year of her life she was a dream baby.  Isabel did not whine or cry about anything, such a trooper.  Then, wham everything matters to this little lady.  I've found myself thinking, "Self, she's just a little baby she's not trying to make you crazy.  Just roll with the punches and instead of flipping out just distract her away from her fit".  I am exhausted lately, it takes all my energy to keep up with my sweet, demanding girl.  But you know what?  I'm learning to be patient.  I'm learning what it takes to be the Momma to someone who is probably as difficult to deal with as I am. :)  I'm gaining exactly what I asked my Heavenly Father for.

All I can say is, Amazing.  The power of prayer is incredible and I can testify that Heavenly Father definitely answers prayers.  Maybe not in a way that is immediately apparent to you and perhaps not in the way you'd like them to be answered.  But, none the less He answers them.  So, be warned, don't pray for things you don't REALLY want because it can be difficult when you get them. :)

I guess it's good that she's so darn cute because even when she's screaming at me for taking the toothbrush away, or the fork, or any other random object she's zeroed on on I still just want to kiss her sweet little face.  Here is a picture of her first painting.

4 comments:

  1. Ash - you are one of the most patient women I know. I admire you in so many ways. Thanks for always being such a fabulous example for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY a post!
    I love how wonderful and honest your posts always are. I'm with Angie, you are the queen of patience and long suffering even if you don't always feel that way. You're a wonderful mom and are, like you said, getting your prayers answered. :)

    Even though you don't have time to read I have a book on parenting I think you'll REALLY enjoy. Each chapter is only two or three pages, so it's easy to read. It's called, "I didn't plan to be a witch and other surprises of a joyful mother". She's a super mom of nine seemingly great kids and talks about the ups and downs of parenting in a humorous way. I've loved it.

    ReplyDelete